The Mayor of Battle is elected annually in May and the role carries a number of significant Civic and Ceremonial responsibilities, such as:
- To uphold and promote the Council’s standing orders and governance documents and to interpret the Standing Orders (Council Procedure Rules) when chairing Council meetings
- To preside over principal meetings of the Council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of Councillors and the interest of the community
- To ensure that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and the place at which members of the public and their elected Councillors can hold the Council/committees to account
- To promote public involvement in the Council’s activities
- To call extra meetings of Council, subject to proper procedures being followed as defined in the Council’s Standing Orders and following discussion with the Town Clerk.
- To be the representative for the Town Council, the community and local democracy and to work to ensure that the dignity and impartiality of the Office of Mayor is upheld
- To promote the Council’s policies and good name at home and elsewhere
- To host all the Council’s civic events and other major Council sponsored events as appropriate and to welcome visitors to the town on behalf of its members
- To act as the Council’s ambassador in promoting the town and in selling its locality to industrialists and tourists
- To attend and host receptions and other events associated with charitable and voluntary organisations operating within the Town Council’s area; thereby assisting in promoting their good works and affording them due recognition for their valuable contributions to the wellbeing of the local community
Following the Annual Council Meeting on the 24th April 2021, the Town Mayor for the next civic year is Councillor Glenna Favell, and the Deputy Mayor is Councillor Vikki Cook .