Battle Town Council
Many residents will know that there has been much discussion about the current poor condition of the Almonry building. As it is a public building of great heritage importance, the Council has taken its obligations seriously to consider how it might ensure that the fabric of the property is restored and maintained to a high standard. There have been many discussions at several forums with various proposals considered. The original aim had been to obtain a Heritage Lottery Grant to restore the ground floor, reinstate the south wing of the building and upgrade the electrics and plumbing with a view to providing additional heritage and educational uses. This was unsuccessful; in part due to the bid being considered of insufficient monetary value.
Following several meetings of the Almonry Development Working Group, Finance & General Purposes Committee and Full Council (all notes and minutes are published on the Council’s website), it was unanimously agreed at the latter meeting that:
- the Almonry project is moved forward, as planned, to invite tenders for the repair, refurbishment and reinstatement of the South Wing of the Almonry;
- Council will continue to seek and apply for grant funding and will place any unspent budget for the PWLB repayments into the Almonry EMR, pending a final decision on the way forward;
- with reference to the preliminary pre-tender project programme, reassess the financial implications at stages 13, 20 and 26, with a view to:
- continue with the project, as planned, to invite tenders for the repair, refurbishment and reinstatement of the South Wing of the Almonry if not,
- revise the Council’s ambitions if still not viable,
- consider whether the Almonry is suitable as the Council office
IV. up to £15k is made available from general reserves for the professional fees required to tender stage with the caveat that this be replaced if the project goes forward.
The Council plans to regularly report publicly on the progress of this action and, as identified at III above, will reassess the project at strategic points to consider the options for this wonderful building. Once full costs are known, there will be a full consultation on what residents feel should be the future of the Almonry.
- 01424 772210
Find Battle Town Council
The Almonry, High Street, Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0EA